Friday, February 1, 2008

The Ten

I'm a huge fan of The State and State related projects (Wet Hot American Summer, Stella, etc.), so I was pretty excited when The Ten came out to theatres.

After seeing it I felt...well...to be honest, a little let down.

Some of the stories were hilarious. The best of the stories being the story involving Jesus and a librarian. The second one being the story revolving around a woman falling in love with a ventriloquist dummy.

I know what you're thinking, "That's because Winona is in it!"

Yes, my future 10 minute hot fling, Winona Ryder, is in the film and I love her in it.
I'm serious, Winona. We WILL meet one day and you will love me. Even if it's just for a day. That's all I ask!

Back to what I was saying...
The best thing about The Ten is its actors and how well they sell their parts (Rob Corddry especially).

Fast forward to now when the movie is available on DVD. I rent it and actually enjoyed it a lot more than when I saw it in the theatre.

It's one of those movies that really is best rented than watched in a movie house setting. It's a movie that you can't expect to be cohesive or have plot because it's basically a movie of sketches (but with connecting themes).

So give it a rent if you have some time and were a fan of The State or Wet Hot American Summer.

And on a related note, check out David Wain's online shorts titled Wainy Days.

This is one of my favorite episodes from the series. It features one of my favorite stand up comedians/writers, Leo Allen.

I'm jealous of David Wain's style of writing. Not many people can pull off such absurd or crude dialogue and make it that funny or subtle. I'm serious. Otherwise you get absolute shit like Epic Movie or Meet The Spartans (Falling down and getting hit in the head is always funny! Farrrrrrrrrt).

Just as an extra treat, one of my favorite State sketches...
Actually, I couldn't find it on YouTube, so enjoy these

No comments: